Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reflecting on What I Learned in EDU 305

It is midterm, which means my time in EDU 305 (an accelerated, half-semester class) has come to an end.  While it has been a bumpy ride through a full course load, I still feel this class has been beneficial.  From changing light bulbs in overhead projectors so ancient that dust bunnies had established their homes inside to creating lessons in multiple software programs, a lot more was learned than originally anticipated.

While past experiences have shown that I typically tend to steer clear of planning lessons requiring technology, future experiences may show differently.  Certain tasks like making a grade book in Excel or creating a WebQuest may seem daunting at first, but they can be so worth it in the end.

Speaking of the WebQuest.  It is done!  Take a look!  (For your viewing pleasure, please use Internet Explorer).  The making of the WebQuest was a WebQuest in and of itself.  I found it very difficult to A. create the website, and B. organize all of the work.  Granted, the option was open to me to work with a group; however, I opted to work by myself.  Friends and family argued I made the wrong decision.  Despite how hard the assignment was, and how long it took, I would not change my decision.  I figured it out.  I made the website.  I created it.  Could I repeat every process in the future for a real lesson?  Most likely.  Would I ever design a WebQuest for my own class?  Maybe I would partner up with another teacher this time because a lot of work goes into creating a WebQuest.

Not only did I learn about technology, but I also learned a valuable life lesson.  Life is not always perfect.  A transcript will not always be perfect.  I could be upset at having to potentially say goodbye to my perfect A/B transcript, but instead I've chosen to look at it as a learning experience--accepting that life is not always rainbows and butterflies, and that sometimes the best you can do, really is the best you can do.  Sometimes you just have to check your OCD and perfectionism at the door. 


Accepting the fact that I had to fight to keep treading water in this class and not dwelling on it is proving to be difficult, but it is, what it is and what will be, will be.  And I don't mind too terribly, because I learned.  And I love learning.  And will continue to do whatever it takes for my education and the education of my future students.

4 comments:

  1. You go girl! You're going to be a FANTASTIC spanish teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you! I am anxious to see the webquest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sometimes you just have to check your OCD and perfectionism at the door"....AMEN, SISTA!!! It's a lot easier said than done but oh my gosh it is oh so true. Can't wait to check out the webquest!!!

    ReplyDelete