- using Microsoft Word Processor to create a resume, cover letter and back-to-school flyer
- using Kidspiration or Inspiration to create a concept map
- using Microsoft Web Expressions 3 to create a professional web page
- using Windows Movie Maker to create a short video on cyber-safety
- and using a blog to reflect on learning
Kidspiration is a pleasant children's computer program, that I can one day see myself incorporating into the classroom. For my EDU 305 assignment, I created concept maps detailing how to a. make a PB&J and b. how to follow the order of operations. The side-by-side contrasting concept maps highlight the importance of following directions correctly in the right order (because you have to open the peanut butter jar and scoop peanut butter out before putting it on the bread--you can't just put the jar of peanut butter on top of a slice of bread and be ready to continue.)
Microsoft Web Expressions 3. While I wish not to comment on the success of my website until its completion, I will say this: Once the website is completed and up to par, it will be so useful in my acquisition of a job and a handy classroom tool to stay in touch with parents and students outside of school.
Windows Movie Maker. Once again--this project is still in the incomplete stages. Although, who couldn't get use out of a short cyber-safety clip in the classroom? In today's day and age, technology is inevitable; and therefore, preparing students safely for their adventures in cyber space is key. Other videos can be made to teach and older students can make their own videos to show what they know.
Blogger. I'm well practiced in the art of blogging after EDU 300 (Introduction to Language Arts Instruction) and a study abroad in Mérida, México, I always welcome opportunities for reflection so that my "spaghetti" thoughts in my brain can be organized into nice organized "waffle"ideas. Blogging is also a great alternative to "old-fashioned" journaling in the classroom and a good way to assess learning.
While reflecting on my work so far in EDU 305, I reviewed several others' blogs on education. My favorite came from Kerry Dickinson, a former elementary school teacher, writes a blog she calls the "East Bay Homework Blog." In 2007, Dickinson became frustrated with the amount of homework her middle-school boys were doing every night, so she asked her school district to re-write their outdated homework policy. That year, she participated in a task force and re-wrote the policy. While now she is happier with the policy, she still thinks that it could be even better. Her main interest for her blog is "to promote healthy, well-balanced children who LOVE to LEARN." She thinks that too often "schools focus on making sure children follow directions and memorize facts instead of fostering creative, curious, innovative, critical thinkers."
While Dickinson's heart is in the right place, and the reasons behind her ideas are sound, I do not always agree with her ideas (i.e. If homework must be given, it should never be graded.) She does make some good points:
- If homework can be copied, it is bad homework. If students can copy homework, why shouldn't they? Homework should foster creativity and help students reach a deeper understanding of what they have already learned in class.
- STAR (Standardized Testing and Reporting) measures student achievement in California. It is a little known fact that this test is not mandatory. Also, teachers are not permitted to teach to this test because class time can be used more constructively.
- Suggestions for the new school year: have family dinners, don't do your children's homework for them or let it consume your life, don't schedule so many extra-curricular activities, and promote reading for pleasure.
I know I'll have more to say after the documentary is actually released; however, I can say that the trailer alone is reflective of both my childhood and those of friends. Maybe I should have sued some of my K-12 educators for robbing me of my childhood?

Glad to see you're continuing your blog and sharing about your latest technology creations. I can't wait until this documentary comes out...I'm sure I'll have much to debate as well. We live in a world of extremes and I do believe this will highlight some of them. Rethinking education is certainly something I'll support!
ReplyDelete