Wednesday, April 28, 2010

reflections

I have learned a lot of different teaching techniques this semester in Introduction to Language Arts. I've realized though that there are so many different ways to teach one concept that you really have to know your students and teach in whatever way they respond best to.  I've learned that as a teacher, I have to be flexible (because rarely does anything happen as planned) and make sure I teach to all the learning styles represented in my classroom.  


I know that in my classroom I will definitely have literature circles.  I have good memories of doing them in elementary school, and I decided I still like them have two rounds in EDU 255 class.  I also love the idea of thematic units and pulling Language Arts into other subject areas.  I also plan on having my students do a lot of oral communication and presentations.  If you start young doing something, it becomes easier as you grow up.  And if you're taught correctly how to do a presentation at a younger age, success in upper grades is so much easier.


I will definitely not allow my students--if they are as young--to have as much independence as in my observation classroom.  Lets face facts--if you don't keep an eye on a child for an extended period of time, they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing.  Also, I'm not so sure about spelling tests.  Spelling is important, but since spelling tests have been proven to not help students spell, looks like I'll be teaching them some other way.


I feel that in general this class has made me more excited for actually working and teaching in a classroom.  Some days I wish I could just quit school, jump right into teaching, and learn as I go.  Somehow that seems a little too much like throwing me into a shark tank, so I'll stay content at Meredith for now.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Easy there, Shark Bait ;P Glad you've found some useful and not so useful things along the way.

    ReplyDelete