Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Social Studies > Science

Social studies used to be a taboo subject. Until I realized I actually liked K-3ish social studies. I say 3ish, because I'm on the fence about 4th grade. North Carolina?  ehhhhhhh.  5th grade is just scary in general, so I won't hold it against social studies in general.

Earlier today my boss, and family friend, commented that she couldn't believe that I was actually graduating and how quickly time had passed. (It's like just yesterday--not 12 years ago--she was teaching my faith formation class and we were rocking out at my very first concert where I was wearing a sparkly t-shirt with kitties and puppies on it)

I said, "Time isn't fleeting, my college career is dragging."

Reflecting hours later: of course she was right.  Remember when I was an 18 year old freshman majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Design with a minor in Spanish?  HA!  That was just yesterday.  

The point is, while I started this semester with the most negative attitude about how every day would drag and drag and drag, I'm starting to wonder where the semester went?  Am I really [almost] done with my education?  Did I really just learn everything there is to know about social studies?  It went by super fast, and of course I don't know EVERYTHING; but, I am leaving this semester smarter.

As a classroom teacher, especially as a first year teacher, I think my biggest challenge will be fitting social studies into the curriculum.  Schools want kids to know how to do readin', ritin', and 'rithmetic.  Social studies doesn't start with an "r," and a lot of schools don't feel the need to teach it regularly because it isn't tested.  All year I've heard Dr. Duncan, Dr. Sperry, and Ms. Droessler talk about, "interdisciplinary teaching" way too often to let social studies get pushed to the back burner because English language arts and mathematics are more important.  It'll be time for the diplomatic and persuasive teacher voice to stand up for social studies!

Here's to hoping my first year teaching is in a K-3 classroom.  And that if it's in a 4th grade classroom I'll plan awesome field trips around the state and I will learn to love 4th grade social studies.  We'll cross the 5th grade bridge when and if we come to it.

Bring it on, student teaching!

Also, because I have to get it off my chest:
Social Studies > Science
in my humble opinion.

4 comments:

  1. What, exactly, are you classifying as social studies?? I will have to humbly disagree with you that social studies > science. But I'm a scientist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. families, citizenship, changes in society, holidays, geography, economics, technology, etc.

    ReplyDelete