From Ellis 2010, p. 115; "Talk to several elementary school children. Ask them to describe the kinds of SS activities they would like to do. Then make inferences about whether their descriptions are learner centered, society centered, or knowledge centered."
The Learner-Centered Approach to the Social Studies Curriculum
C.L.--Grade 3--"I don't like Social Studies, but if you can make it artsy, I'll probably enjoy it more."
C.L. would probably thrive in a classroom that uses the learner-centered approach. A learner-centered approach would give the students the choice of how they want to learn and the opportunity for self-realization of how they learn best. Because of these choices and the freedom to be creative, more interest is shown by the learners. Of course, it is very important that this style of learning is facilitated by the teacher.
The Knowledge-Centered Approach to the Social Studies Curriculum
A.J.--Grade 5--"All I know about Social Studies is that it is the time of day you open your text book, read it, and then answer the questions. I'd rather watch movies."
At grade 5, all A.J. knows about learning social studies is reading the text and answering questions. This structure places a lot of discipline on the students to learn and be assessed, learn and be assessed.
The Society-Centered Approach to the Social Studies Curriculum
G.H.--Grade 1--"I liked the time we read a book about Martin Luther King Jr. then made time lines of his life in small groups"
G. H. is probably referring to a classroom that uses the society-centered approach. In the situation G.H. describes, the students are working together in groups. A society-centered approach focuses on community involvement, problem solving, and a cooperative effort. Group projects are realistic and applicable to the real world.
Different approaches to learning are going to benefit different students differently. As a teacher, I plan to implement all three approaches when appropriate; however, the learner centered approach will probably take precedence. A child needs to learn at a young age what their learning style is and become comfortable with it in order to achieve academic success throughout their life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very cool...but disheartening at the same time...especially for A.J. There are too many of our students who express this same sentiment. Perhaps our MC grads can change their minds; one student at a time.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, really needed to be said for a long time now.
ReplyDeleteCustom Essay Writing Service || Order Cheap Custom Essay Writing Online
Brilliant blog, thank you very much. It seems very well written and I have taken my time to read it thoroughly.
ReplyDeletethesis writing service
assignment Writing Service
essay editing service
dissertation writing service
course work writing online